Q. 1 Global understanding
Mention the qualities of the Sower or the farmer depicted in the extract
Q. 2 Interpretation or inference
Explain the following line
Black and high, his silhouette dominates the furrows deep
Q. 3 personal response
Why should we respect the farmers and their hard work?
Q. 4 Poetic device
Name and explain figure of speech
1 . darkness deepens
2. but a sower lingers still.
Q. 5 Compose a four line poem on Indian farmer
Q Write poetic appreciation of the poem The Sower using following points
1. About the poet
3. Poetic device . language, style
4. values , message
5. Special features
5. Your opinion about the poem
- About the poet: The poem The Sower was originally written in French by the famous writer Victor Hugo , a novelist and poet. The poem was translated by Indian poetess Toru Dutt
- Theme: The poem depicts the noble figure of a farmer who toils in his farm, dedicates his life for farming, takes care of the farm like his child still he is away from any expectation and ambition
- poetic device, language and style: The language used here is simple , lucid and clear without any complicated expressions. we find poetic device like alliteration imagery and inversion which add beauty to the poem and nobility of the farmer.
- Values and message: This poem gives a great message inviting a great respect toward the farmer. It acquaint the true condition of the farmer who dedicates their life for others bread and butter but lives a simple life away from any luxury.
- Special features: The poem is set around the sunset as the expressions like sunlight dying fast and twilight hastens are the proof of it.
- My opinion about the poem: I think the poet has truly depicted the hardwoking portrait of the farmer who lives for ohters. It forces us to acquaint their real condition.